Sunday, November 15, 2020

"Chop wood, carry water"

 

 

 



Whatever heals and soothes the spirit -- these days we need it in abundance.  As I've worked in my end-of-season garden, clipping and chopping overgrown shrubs and rampant bamboo, I've thought about the timely appearance of Aquarius, the Water Bearer, at the Zodiac Cafe. 

 

As I reflected on how nourishing are both water (consumed or observed) and physical effort, I remembered the Zen expression "Chop wood, carry water," which I first learned from the original "Tassajara Bread Book" of the 7os.  I have a couple of friends who have taken bread-baking and fine cooking to a celestial level -- and I can only believe that when they're engaged in their art, a positive energy is flowing. 

 

The original Water-Bearer of myth was male -- with not a very wholesome story -- but my own Zodiac Cafe sequence called for a female; someone who would embody Manly P. Hall's description of the sign's characteristics:--

 

"Head broad, eyes expressive and widely set; complexion good; teeth defective; hair grays early, mouth and chin attractive; considerable physical beauty; vivacious."

 

Defective teeth?  I think not!   Another mask might be required, as it was for Sagittarius.

 

For preliminaries, I auditioned some possibilities ....

 



...and then whipped up some I.D. for entry to the Cardboard Club. (a wonderful use for cardboard scraps and leftover paint).

 



When I got serious on canvas, I thought I was off to a good start -- until I reached a point where I realized her eyes were out of whack.  As I went back and forth, painting them out, painting them back in, I was reminded of "Serious Art Fails" -- which I've referenced before under similar circumstances.

 



I finally decided I'd done the best I could with quite a serene-looking Aquarian, untroubled by her greying hair.

 



 

And then I ran off to VanDusen Garden  to feel soothed and refreshed by the real thing.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment