Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Not quite hitting the mark

 

 


I ought to be good at this.  Archery was the one sport involving interaction with a projectile at which, surprisingly, I excelled in school.  I realized that my arrow consistently hit the target about 8" off-centre towards the 4 o'clock position -- so all I had to do was aim consistently for 8" off-centre towards the 10 o'clock position and -- bull's eye!  There's a lesson here, I'm sure, but I haven't figured it out yet.

 

Meanwhile, at The Zodiac Cafe, it's been time for the arrival of Sagittarius -- a female archer, in keeping with my plan to alternate guys and gals in the series.  I flipped through some old sketches as I reviewed Manly P. Hall's typical characteristics of the sign:--

 

"Head long, forehead high and well-rounded; eyes dreamy; nose long; lips somewhat full; hair sometimes auburn."

 

Maybe this was my opportunity to re-do a painting from exactly a year ago -- "Ringlets," the first in my Denizens Series. 

 


I've been gradually painting over some of the Denizens, and I *have* improved somewhat in the past year...haven't I?  So I decided to work on adjusting her features to accord with Hall's description and give her another try.

 


Except:-- That nose.  Those lips.  She really didn't look like anyone I wanted to have coffee with.  And I should have known; I've always heard that renovating is harder than starting from scratch.  So I started from scratch.

 


I hadn't considered, though, what it would mean to work directly on my last sheet of a delicious textured paper that's really meant for mixed media.  It was like painting on a dry sponge.  Usually when I finish a painting, I like to bring it upstairs from the studio and hang out with it for a while, liking the good parts and thinking over the bad parts.

 

Neither of these gals did I feel like hanging out with.

 

 

What to do?  I didn't want to cast off Sagittarius completely.  Its related painting from my long-ago "Astrological Plants" series is one of my favourites -- and my backyard bush, just two years old, has produced a few snowberries this year, blooming right now.

 



One evening, still undecided, I worked on the mindless task of filing and paper shredding.  Remembering how much fun I'd once had collaging a figure from the scraps of patterned paper from inside security envelopes, I did an updated model.  I had fewer designs now, with so many transactions on-line.  Her pendant even says, "Go paperless."

 



From this repetitive task came the solution to my unattractive Sagittarians.  Just as a mask has covered the healing scar on my nose, so too a mask could cover the nose and lips I just couldn't get right.

 



Right on target!  I could bear to bring her upstairs and smile at the outcome.  As for what she looks like underneath, just don't tell, okay?

 



No comments:

Post a Comment