Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Is this what I'm supposed to be doing?

 

 


 

Right now my "progress" seems a tangle of lines and coils -- but one day, I'll take flight!  

 

So I'm back at the Zodiac Cafe, this time aiming for a Scorpio who meets Manly P. Hall's description of the typical features:--

 

"Head long; features small and regular; teeth good; nose Grecian; mouth and chin well-f0rmed; hair fine"

 

I'd been thinking about re-doing some of my "Denizens" portraits and singled out "The Filmmaker."

  


 

 

I'd always liked the first study I did for him --

 



But I needed to start afresh for Scorpio, keeping in mind the European-looking guy who'd inspired "The Filmmaker":

 



Okay...promising...for admission to the Cardboard Club... so I took out a fresh canvas and got started.  Here's the midway point, when for a day or two he seemed to suggest Picasso's portrait of Gertrude Stein.

 



No?  I guess not.   Here's the real Picasso.

 



Up to this stage, I'd been working on my small portable easel.  When I'd booted the Art Students off my larger table easel, I moved Scorpio over.  Oh, wow! -- When I saw him against my bulletin board in the background, I suddenly realized I was heading towards another Ferdinand Hodler spinoff. 

  


 

Hodler is an artist I really like, but I'd been aiming for something different, and it began to look like I wasn't going to get there.  So I wrapped it up.  Here's the final:  "Zodiac Cafe - Scorpio".

 




At least that tough-guy Cancer has someone to hang out with.

 



Double-chai latte, you guys?   You could even have a browse at the artwork on the wall, like Scorpio's contribution to the "Astrological Plants" series.

 



 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment