Friday, October 30, 2020

You cannot make this stuff up



For Halloween week ….a spooky hand manifested on my living room wall, just as I was planning this post. (See it as an arm slanted downward, palm of the hand facing you, with big thumb at the top, and fingers curled into the palm).  It's all a trick of the sun's slant and reflection from car windows in the street below but it was kind of eerie, especially as I'd been thinking about the challenges of painting hands.

 

But it's heads we're still concerned with, here in the Zodiac Café, and this time Capricorn has made his own spooky appearance.  Manly P. Hall describes the typical Capricorn qualities as:--

 

"Head long; forehead high; eyes piercing; nose long; lips thin; chin strong but  narrow; body angular; general air of severity."

 

I'd recently been flipping through last year's sketchbook and came across a drawing I'd made of a weird and wonderful guy on the street -- with deep pink hair and a tangerine shirt.

 



Oooohh….irresistible to give him a try.   I whipped up a little study for the Cardboard Club, exaggerating some elements to match the descriptive text.

 



Here's an early stage of the painting.

 

  

As I worked on that bony forehead, I was reminded that Capricorn's symbolic animal is the goat.  Hmmm…..what do you think?  Any resemblance?

 

 

I might have been more successful if I hadn't been so fixated on his improbable hair.   Enchanted, actually.  Despite the problems anchoring it to his head, it never occurred to me to give him a haircut.  Here's the finale, with the hair much darker than in reality.

 

 

Did I say "reality"?  That's not the name of the game this week, is it?  OOooooOOOOoooo.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment