Sunday, September 15, 2024

More views and lessons learned

 


There's a long, long trail a-winding, and we'll reach the end before long – so let's do a quick review.  First, it was reasonable to assume that Summer Camp would conclude when the kids went back to school – but not so, this year.  By a quirk of the calendar, we'll push through to the end of September. For now, this is the second and final installment of "Seven Views of Grouse Mountain" – if you didn't catch last month's introduction to this series, you'd better check that out first, or this might be incomprehensible.

 

Finally, whether or not you're committed to Summer Camp as a learning environment (and I've tried!), there are lessons small and large along the trail – the title image shows one unforgettable lesson.  I'd decided to use an untouched watercolour block for the seven paintings.  This worked perfectly until I finished the first painting and couldn't separate the glued layers.  One internet search later, I found it was simple, really. There's an inch-long stretch where the papers are not glued, and a sharp item like a palette knife can be inserted to slip around all the edges of the top sheet, as shown.

 


Now, onward and upward!  Following the previous format, I'll show the lead-up to each of my paintings with: -- One of my photographs of Grouse Mountain; a roughly comparable scene from Hokusai's "36 Views"; a somewhat comparable scene from a Group of Seven artist; finally, my attempted emulation of the scene in the manner of that artist.   Here we go --

 

Grouse View #4:  Photo looking across Trout Lake;  Hokusai's "Tsukuda Island in Musashi Province"; J.E.H. MacDonald's "On the Lake Shore Near Bronte;" my emulation.

 


 


 


Grouse View #5: Photo from Canada Place; Hokusai's "Shichuri Beach"; Franklin Carmichael's "Untitled;" my emulation.

 


 


 


Grouse View #6: Photo near the top of Grouse; Hokusai's "Mishima Pass"; Frederick Varley's  "Lynn Valley"; my emulation.  Note that Varley actually lived and worked in Vancouver for a time, and Lynn Valley is roughly at the bottom of Grouse's eastern flank.

 


 




Finally:  Grouse View #7:  Photo of snowy top from East Vancouver; Hokusai's "Teahouse at Koishikawa"; Lawren Harris' "Mountains East of Maligne Lake"; my emulation. (True confession:-- Harris is my favourite of the Group, but you wouldn't know it from this).

 


 

 



 Whew!  That was a journey – which recalls the expression, "running madly off in all directions."  To end on a sober note, let's go back to Lynn Valley and ascend the slope to the east and reach another prominence on our northern skyline – Mount Seymour.  As seen across the rooftops from my north window, it's part of my joy in this vantage point, a ready indicator of time of day, the mood of the weather, and the change of seasons.

 


After 12 years of savouring this little slice of view, I'm experiencing its final months.  Since Summer Camp began, an empty construction site has activated – the orange warning flags were posted, and the big digger sets noisily to work early each morning.  Eventually, a 6-storey building will fill the space.

 


I'm trying to be philosophical and accept one of life's big lessons that needs to be learned – change happens.   Silver lining?  Time will tell.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment