Saturday, April 15, 2023

Party House -- Making It Happen!

 

 


Sunny days are still few and far between – just enough now and then to go out and dance in the street and draw on the sidewalk.  (Original art courtesy of two boys next door – one, age 8, the other his uncle, age 50).

 

Meanwhile, wanting to make the best of rainy days indoors, I try to read at least a few paragraphs in French each week.  That enduring though not terribly fruitful endeavour brought me back to La maison d’être, that convenient mnemonic device illustrating a particularity of French verb conjugation.

 

 

Randomly, I decided to illustrate the verb "arriver."  Yes, it can mean in English what it seems to suggest:-- "To arrive."  But it can also mean, in various forms, "to happen" – and that's what I seized on when I decided to model my painting on a promo postcard from The Dance Centre.  

 


I started with a line layout and found I needed to make a few adjustments in size and position. 

 

 

At this very early stage, I planned to work seriously on a studied use of warm and cool colours, depending on the direction of light.

 

 

As I worked along, thinking about the Dance Centre morphing into a party house, an interesting memory surfaced – of a French movie (subtitled!) I'd seen decades ago:  "Le Grand Meaulnes" based on what's considered a 20th century classic by the author Alain-Fournier.  When I double-checked on-line, I remembered that I have this very book!

 

 

It's in a small pile of Books I Wish I Could Easily Read in French.   Now oddly enough, what I most remembered about the film was what I thought (mistakenly) to be its opening sequence – a crazy-mad party scene at a mysterious chateau.

 

 

Perhaps it was this memory that led me to throw all caution to the wind – forget about my "assignment" to carefully analyze warm and cool colours and the effect of light – and just……….let 'er rip!  

 


Here's the final version of  "Arriver – Making It Happen" House of être Series, copyright 2023.

 



If I'd recalled "Le Grand Meaulnes" at the outset, I might instead have invited its party house cast to be my models:

 



No comments:

Post a Comment