Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Shining some light on the tangle

 



 



Enough of the wheel-spinning.  Enough feeling at loose ends.  Very soon, as Pablo Neruda would say, "Enough now of the wet eyes of winter -- not another single tear!"  With today's daylight hours clocking in at 10h 57 minutes, it's time to get crackin' again.

 

Along with demos and tutorials, an on-line "art academy" I subscribe to offers high-quality life-drawing sessions – next best thing to real life!  Most recently for me, the model has been a fine-featured young woman with – get this:  Opulent multi-coloured braids!!!  How could I resist trying to paint her?  I think this photo of my set-up will give you an idea without violating copyright.

 



Here's my first lay-in, in which I've reeeeally tried to get the proportions right.

 



I wasn't quite on track, but kept getting closer.

 



 


At last, the final version of "Tying Up the Loose Ends" (copyright 2023).

 

 

It has its flaws, but at least it passed the High Altitude Test.  That's when I bring a finished painting upstairs from the basement studio to hang out for a while as I consider what I might have done differently.

 

The real masterworks in loose ends and tangles are those that happen naturally – as in the title photo above – or those that get just a little help from a simpatico gardener,as below.  I saw both instances on my walk last week at Deer Lake Park in nearby Burnaby – and I've just found a glimpse to share with you here, showing the park in autumn.  The lake becomes most visible starting at Minute 0.58.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment