Monday, October 31, 2022

You asked for this -- or someone did!


 

 


It's Halloween so let's frolic back to an earlier post on having fun with legal terminology After those colourful shenanigans, someone (and she knows who she is) asked, "Waiting to see what you do with that other legal term, incorporeal hereditaments." 

 

At first, I declined.  Then, about three weeks ago I spotted a young woman on the bus who looked like a suitable subject – narrow light-coloured eyes, pale skin, head partly shaved and partly brushed with wispy hanks of hair – all set off with a dainty silver filagree necklace.

 

She looked suitably incorporeal – and no wonder, when I realized the necklace was a choker of…….skeletal finger bones!!

 

 

No matter.  I resolved to give her a try.

 

  

Maybe because I was painting over an old canvas and using a new paint brand, but I couldn't make her light enough; she was just too corporeal.  Trying again,  I had no further luck.

 



Hmmm.  Maybe I should do a real close-up – just part of her head and neck, with the necklace.  But that was too creepy, those encircling fingers.  So I gave it one last try, showing off the necklace but not encircling her throat – and here she is, "Incorporeal or Not" (copyright 2022).

 



The day I finished the painting, my daily walk took me to some familiar streets now thick with fallen leaves and crunchy husks and nuts underfoot – later confirmed to be beechnuts.  Very coincidentally, one of these husks revealed a familiar muse from early 2022.

 



A strange coincidence!  It was last Halloween that the wodewose guys helped me kick off the series of Beetle Being paintings.  This year, I discovered a whole previously unknown (to me) phenomenon – the Witches' Dance troupes.   How had I missed that?!?!?  These gals look like a lot of fun, but I think I've done enough "weird" for a while.

 

In any case, as Atmospheric Rivers flow across BC again, it's perhaps best to be as incorporeal as possible.  Here's the view looking out my front window, through the downpour of Niagara Falls.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment