Friday, June 14, 2019

A model performance






Once again, I'm trying to get back on a regular schedule of life drawing.   Last week's session was a real treat, with an uncrowded room and an experienced model who moved gracefully and inventively through the usual 3-hour set of 1-, 2-, 5-, 15- and 30 minute poses.

Part of being a good model -- the essential quality really -- is being at ease and professional in the role.



Some of my friends have wondered, as I did before my first life drawing class 30 years ago (ouch!), what it must be like to model in the nude.  For a professional model's perspective, you might check out "Figuratively Speaking," a video made to answer this very question and filmed at the gallery I attend (scroll down halfway in the link).

Anyway, last week's model had it all -- the no-nonsense aplomb of someone who knows what she's doing and actually enjoys doing it…



 …and an ability to devise useful poses that include challenging twists and turns of spine, limbs, neck, face.   (Sometimes, after the initial 1-minute warm-ups, I focus on just one part of the body) 


Another essential quality is being able to hold the pose.  Try this for 30 minutes!


Surprisingly this session, there was more to the model than met the eye!  Sitting on the edge of the platform before the first of the 30-minute poses, she said,  "I'd like to say something before we begin.  I'm also a classical singer, and…"  -- now with a huge, role-breaking smile -- "I've just released my first single.  And you can find me on YouTube!"   The session manager, evidently in the know, said, "The Volvo commercial??"   "No! Not that!" she almost giggled -- and then the final poses began.

Well, I was more than a little intrigued with this lovely young woman.


When I got home, I went straight to YouTube -- and was blown away.  Have a listen and see what you think.

Curious about the Volvo commercial?   I was.  I suppose it helped pay the rent.

And if you really get carried away and track down her Facebook page, you can listen to her dog singing in duet (sort of).

I'd been thinking I should follow up each drawing session with a quick painting based on one of my sketches.  Remember that white cardboard I snared from my neighbours?  Away we go with a first layer:


-- leading to a rather careful study.


 And then a let-loose-and-see-what-happens aria.  Er, finale. (Meanwhile, with apologies to Mozart, I can't get the Volvo commercial out of my head.)



No comments:

Post a Comment