Saturday, June 16, 2018

Time for a draw-down



 
I'm always interested in what I can learn from others.  Almost everyone has things to share, but it's those with a creative passion who particularly attract my attention.  This week  it struck me that it's time for what my friend A, the semi-professional chef and baker, would call a "draw-down."  (The "semi-" means she doesn't get paid except in 5-star admiration).

When A does a draw-down, it means she's cleaning out her fridge or freezer of stuff that she might even have forgotten about.  And then she whips it all into a "simple" lunch or dinner that's wholly original and, even through cyberspace, enticing and unforgettable.

Well, all those adjectives aside, I've had photo images sitting around for a month now from my last drawing session at Basic Inquiry.  Time for a draw-down!

Some 1-minute warm-up poses:--


 A couple of 5-minute poses:--
 

 Moving on to 10 minutes:--


  And 15 minutes:--


 And two 30-minute poses from the final stage of the session:--
 



With summertime doings shaping up, I've drifted from my goal of doing these life sessions at least every other week, but no matter.   Taking some lessons from the big guys, I mostly follow Pissarro's counsel:--
   "One should draw every day, even if it is only an apple.  One can so easily lose the knack."
  The artists I most admire are as thrilling to me for their drawings as for their paintings.  And Degas, right at the top of my list, has this to say:--
"Drawing is the artist's most direct and spontaneous expression, a species of writing: it reveals, better than does painting, his true personality." 
Hmmmm.  Lest we get too psychoanalytical, consider also the observation of Stan Hardy of Laurel and Hardy fame:--
 "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil has to be led."

1 comment:

  1. Didn't you love "The Secret Garden" when you were little? And there it is, right in your neighborhood! I was checking all night for the mid-month posting, and how incredibly was I rewarded. Amazing as always, and what an oasis of sanity in this world. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete