Friday, June 30, 2017

Get out the sunscreen!





Wishfully waiting for summer about a month and a half ago, I began the seventh in my "Flash Mob" paintings by presenting my familiar lounging swimmers under wraps.



It was a good opportunity to play with fabric folds and also to splash around on my new-bought **pristine** artist's paper from Arches, the French mill that makes some of the best.



Maybe it all went a little too smoothly -- because working over an old painting provides a useful resistance, both texturally and tonally. Working against that can slow you down but also give necessary pauses in which to consider and reconsider.

And so somehow, I let a troublesome figure establish herself.




The female figure on the far right was so intriguing in my original sketchbook -- the position of her feet, the twist in her spine as she looked back over her shoulder.



But from the first transposition from original quick sketch to paper-doll study, her head just didn't work.



It was too big. It was too small. (You can view the inflationary/deflationary cycle here)  Finally I said, "Let's wrap this up" -- and went with what I had.

Here's "It's a Wrap" (copyright 2017)



Sometimes, you've just gotta throw in the towel -- or wrap it around your shoulders -- pull yourself away to the sidelines, and mull over how you might make the cut next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment