Tuesday, February 14, 2017

All we have to do is....wait for it


For a while there, it seemed that it would never end. The snow that usually breezes in for a day or two before Christmas was like the visitor that just didn't know when to go home -- called up their friends, in fact, and invited more of the same.

Still: It *was* an excuse to go outside and play. My best memory of the endless snow shovelling was the morning that the sidewalk ice was beginning to loosen enough to pick up shards, which I had fun placing along the fence top of The Yellow House.

Beating me at my own game, my pals down the block exceeded all expectations the next day when they excavated huge ice slabs from the street in front of their house and ringed their corner of the block with a mini-Stonehenge.



Remarkably, this looked very like the medieval stone fortifications called cheval de frise that we saw years ago in Ireland around the remains of old forts.

The snow was also an exercise in patience. All one had to do was sit tight and wait -- something I thought about on my studio mornings as I worked on the fourth in my Flash Mob Series -- "Sit Tight." For once, I stuck successfully with my original sketched plan.



Again, I worked over an old painting and found the early stages eerie and fascinating.



In fact, even as I continued obliterating the old stuff, I found that I couldn't quite let go of some of its patterns.




And here it is -- a bright sunny day in the future when the Winter of 2017 is just a memory, the finale of "Sit Tight" (copyright 2017).



For the work in progress, click here and repeat the mantra, "Flash Mobs are everywhere."


1 comment: