Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Let the games...continue





Through the seemingly endless rains of March, I let loose again with my lively game of The Colourful Past Series. The goals of the game have been described before with two of my paintings "Small Front Windows (Colourful Past #1)" .....


... and "Three Neighbours on Quebec Street (Colourful Past #2)":


The objective is to plunge adventurously into colour, to Do Something with my fascination with the details of Vancouver's old architecture, and to work in a more experimental style -- sometimes having a fun splash with texture tools like those pictured at the top.

By now, I've "collected" in my sketchbook dozens of small residential windows, with their almost endless variations as to overall shape, size, shape and numbers of leaded mini-panes, borders, colours, themes...and on and on. For Colourful Past #3, I decided to group samples of three different shapes -- octagon, diamond, and square -- and arrange them in a design that suggests the decorative bands on old buildings, an architectural element called "beading" as shown here:


Then, with the combination of windows and beading, I couldn't resist titling this piece, "Glass Bead Game," (copyright 2014) ,with a solemn nod to Hermann Hesse -- whose own Glass Bead Game was considerably more cerebral.

There are no competitors in my own game. No scores are kept. The tournament season is determined by when the spirit moves me. When does the game end? ...when it ceases to be fun. For now, here's the third in The Colourful Past Series, with its progression shown here.


No comments:

Post a Comment