Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Eight months without a paintbrush





When it became clear in December 2011 that we'd have to leave our old house, I resolved to immediately start gleaning and packing my studio.  My customary pre-dawn working hours turned into an industrious though reflective time of assessing old paintings and drawings, scrutinizing old sketchbooks, weeding out reference material, packing fragile artifacts, and planning how to transport painted papers and panels. I hadn't chosen this interruption in my painting life, but I decided to view it positively so I made notes along the way of themes and threads I wanted to pick up when life became normal again in a new location.

Finding and moving to a new home worked out pretty well for us, all things considered. My new studio is small but workable. Its low ceiling will just accommodate my table-top easel with mounting board that holds my frequent choice of 20" x 26" paper in a vertical orientation, with about 1/2" to spare!


When I'd organized my new studio, I set one goal: To get back to work as of September 1st and be able to say about every new painting, "This is my best yet" -- to equal or exceed what I still think is my personal best, "A Brown Study at 65" shown here:


My first new-studio effort was "The Green Pear" -- not at all my best yet although I'm rather fond of the pear itself, even in its earliest stage. Maybe it's "my best part-of-a-painting yet" (which sounds like one of those very low-level Academy Awards).


And so: Back to the drawing board. I gathered up some of the objects I'd cherished in my old studio, glad that I'd resisted any urge to "declutter" the large basket, the metal gears, the pine cones, the oyster shells...and no way would I have decluttered my grandmother's little sewing basket! I also decided to take up the challenge I'd encountered years ago as a suggested exercise:-- to produce a "poster" for one's own (imaginary) exhibit.


So here's the outcome:  New Studio Painting #2 -- "Wheels Within" -- which can be viewed revolving itself into existence here. Visualize it as a poster, and see if you think it's My Best Yet.

"Things in Themselves"
The Still Life Paintings of Kelly Mo
On exhibit at The Yellow House Gallery
From now until the next time

1 comment:

  1. Well, I don't know if it's your "Best Yet", but it certainly is beautiful! I just love the palate - so warm and pleasing. It's definitely your best in some time, with lovely shapes and content. I'm so glad that life is returning to "normal" for you and that you're finding time to paint again.

    ReplyDelete