Tuesday, March 6, 2012

End of Winter?



When this splotch of golden yellow appears in the garden (this year, along with an unseasonable late February snow) I know that we're truly on the verge of making it through another winter -- because these crocuses and I have a pact that goes back to 2005.

At that time, I had an early-spring realization that along with "getting older" (not to be confused with actually Getting Old), I was also getting more sensitive to the potential downs of winter's darkness. I resolved that the only antidote was to meet winter head on and plan something to look forward to, along about mid-January. Once I had decided this, things began to fall into place for an anticipated painting I'd already titled, "Depths of Winter."

First, at work, a matte black flower pot showed up next to the garbage can. (Packrat alert! Packrat alert!). "I know!" I thought. "This year I'll force some bulbs for that pot -- bright yellow, maybe." As I envisioned the dark/bright contrasts my painting would have, I spotted a dark blackish teapot in a thrift shop window. On a summer walk in VanDusen Gardens, I picked up some dark and dramatic Himalayan pine cones, and autumn brought the delivery of my crocus bulbs. As I planted them for "forcing" (I now prefer my invented term "inviting"), I began to set up my still life against an old black patterned skirt. When the bulbs flowered in my studio in mid-January, the almost-finished painting was waiting for them -- and here it is.


"Depths of Winter" (copyright 2006) is still one of my personal favorites. I learned so much, dealing with the shadows and the tones of yellow, and it always brings back to me the emotions of that time. The garden catalog cautioned that "invited" bulbs might not prevail when planted outdoors after their first indoor flowering, but these golden yellow beacons have unfailingly come back every late winter. We've almost made it through!

2 comments:

  1. Feeling especially frazzled today, I thought to myself, "I know just what I need--a good strong does of To Capture the Eye," and lo and behold, a new post was waiting for me! Hooray!! It's the first day of spring, winter has completely passed us by, I'm wearing sandals today, and yet feeling the doldrums of winter. Until I read your blog. It was just the tonic I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I really misspell "dose"? Just shows how bad it's been!

    ReplyDelete