As Summer Camp wends onward, I’d planned for a landscape focussed on an old house. The abandoned tavern shown here is from a regional vintage photo site in New York state -- not fair game for my purposes. I hoped to locate another old Vancouver house like the one that enchanted me last year.
My time for exploring has been limited lately as Serious Stuff – a research project I mistakenly volunteered for -- impinges on my summertime fun. I used Google maps to explore some possible neighbourhoods, to no avail. I was much more successful in finding a painting I might emulate, titled “Deserted House.”
It’s by 20th century Canadian artist Prudence Heward who is top of my list right now for preferred painting partners.
How could I have forgotten her after seeing a blockbuster show at the Vancouver Art Gallery in 2023? Here, she has painted another similarly “lost” artist, printmaker Edna B. Hopkins, an American of roughly the same period.
I would love to have painted this!! And once found, it quickly led me to abandon the abandoned house motif and any thought of spooky tales. Instead, I decided to paint two “sisters in art” – Prudence herself and the close friend of a coffee buddy I’ve become acquainted with in the past year. This young woman (“young” equals 50-ish, right?) wears different hats so stylishly and, just incidentally, has started taking watercolour lessons.
Here’s the first lay-in:
A midway point:
And the final version, “Sisters” – Summer Camp Series, copyright 2026.
I’ve left the equivocal facial expressions just as you see them. Is Prudence viewing a younger version of her friend group, wondering about how future generations might express themselves?
And here’s more food for thought: I’d hoped to suggest there was still time to grab a spot in another summertime Commedia program. Then I had the wisdom (!) for once to check out the meaning of its title, psicodramma. I should have known! – psychodrama – and my extracurricular research activities of the summer have already brought too much of that!!






No comments:
Post a Comment